Are you bored? Being stuck in the house isn’t fun for everyone. If you are experiencing being quarantined, it can definitely take a toll on your inner well-being.
However, I’ve made a list of 51 awesome things to do when bored at home to help you maintain a healthier and happier mindset. I want to share these with you including my #1 favorite thing to do.
51 Awesome Things To Do When Bored At Home
Considering the kids are home with me, I had my 12-year-old daughter help me put this list together. Because two minds are better than one and it gave her something mindful to do as well.
First and foremost, I’ll list all self-love things to do when bored as I feel that’s of most importance in life. We must take great care of ourselves in order to be an asset to anyone else. From there I will list all the fun family things to do and then last but not least, I will list even more awesome things to do.
Whether you are alone or not alone, these ideas listed should help keep you and/or your family occupied while being stuck inside the house. Bordem seems to be a specific mental state that people find unpleasant. Let’s try to prevent this by having a happier and more fun-filled pleasant life.
This starts by practicing gratitude…
Self-Love Things To Do
It’s crucial to practice self-care and gratitude for your overall well-being so definitely treat yourself first!
Here are some self-love tips for you:
1. Take an Epson Salt Bath – Epson gets its name from the town Epsom in Surrey, England. Epson salts are super beneficial. They provide magnesium which is the fourth most abundant mineral in the body. It also promotes sleep and stress reduction, helps with constipation and reduces pain and swelling. Grab Epson salts from Amazon if you don’t already have some.
2. Exercise – We all know that exercise is so important. Especially if you are stuck inside and not moving as much as usual. Make sure to get your exercise on every day or every other day as much as possible. If you have a treadmill or any kind of exercise machine then great, but if not then it’s okay too. Just do jumping jacks, run in one spot lift weights (or something similar) or going outside for a walk/run. You can find many ways to exercise. You just have to get up and do it. Exercise will help you control your weight, reduce heart diseases, helps insulin levels, improves mental health and mood and also helps with your thinking, learning and judgment skills as you age. Plus you will probably sleep better at night.
3. Learn Yoga – “Having the ability to breathe more fully and deeply can have a very profound impact on overall health, and is worth practicing every day” www.ekhartyoga.com – 30 benefits of yoga. Or Start a 12-week yoga program!
4. Stretch – This can be done before exercising or doing yoga but it can also be done “just because”. Why Stretch? Because stretching keeps the muscles flexible strong and healthy. Without stretching our muscles shorten and become tight which can cause joint pain, strains, and muscle damage. Take 10 minutes or so and just stretch it out!
5. Dance – If exercising is boring try dancing. My friend sent me a video of herself dancing just the other day. It looked like she was having a blast. Turn on your favorite song(s) and dance your heart away.
6. Wash your Hair – Even if we are stuck and home it’s equally important to take care of our physical well-being. So take a shower/bath, wash your hair (style it) so you can feel more productive and energized all day long. This will allow you to accomplish more tasks while being stuck at home, helping to eliminate boredom.
7. Watch your Favorite Netflix Movie – Grab your favorite snack(s), vino (drink) and go enjoy one of your favorite movies.
8. Read a Book – Grab that book you’ve been wanting to read for a while and finally get into it. If you are looking for some new ideas, here are some of my favorite books of all time.
You will love these books:
9. Paint a Picture – Painting offers creative and emotional growth, strengthens memory and reduces stress. If you like being creative or been wanting to learn more about how to paint this is a great opportunity to try it out.
10. Give yourself a Mani/Pedi – If you can’t get out to get your nails done then try doing them yourself. Take your time and give your nails some love n care. Order a nail kit or a foot bath. Remember to order your favorite nail polish and get your nails looking summer-fresh pretty.
11. Take a Nap in front of the Window for Vitamin D – Don’t let being stuck inside the house deplete your Vitamin D! According to www.healthline.com, Vitamin D is important for normal growth and development of bones and teeth as well as improved resistance against certain diseases. Low levels of vitamin d can cause health risks and even depression. Keep them up even tho you’re stuck in the house. Plus Vitamin D should give you a boost of energy so you feel a lot better.
12. Take piano/musical lessons online – If you’ve been wanting to know how to do this for a while then there is no better time to start learning. More and more people are taking lessons online because it’s so convenient. My kids are taking both piano and voice lessons online. It may seem awkward at first but it becomes easier once you are used to it.
Udemy is an online platform that offers many online courses.
13. Create A Vision Board – A vision/dream board physically displays exactly what you want in life. Think about how you want your future dreams to be and start creating your vision board. Hang up your board where you can see it every day to remind you of your daily goals and aspirations.
14. Create A PhotoBook – Start by transferring pictures from your phone to your computer or sending them to the photo lab. Take your favorite photos and have them developed or even made into a canvas. You can also create photo books or canvas at www.bestcanvas.ca or www.canvasdiscount.com.
15. Start A Gratitude Journal – According to the University of Rochester Medical Center Journaling for mental health helps manage anxiety, reduce stress and copes with depression.
16. Listen To A Podcast – You can download the iHeartRadio app here if you don’t already have it. There are so many awesome podcasts. Some of my favorite podcasts to listen to is Oprah’s Supersoul Podcast and The Jann Arden Podcast.
17. Start A Business Online – Learn how to work remotely from home. This is my favorite as I never get bored anymore! To do this, simply choose a niche (your favorite hobby/interest), build a website, learn how to become an affiliate marketer, promote products in your niche and earn commissions. Commissions can be anywhere from 4% up to 50%. Anyone can build an online niche business with the right education. It takes a few months or even 1 year to start making money as an affiliate marketer but if you ever had the desire to learn how to start doing this then now is a great time to give it a try.
Check out my #1 recommendation to learn more about enrolling for FREE! (first 10 lessons).
Family Things To Do
1. Play games – Whether it’s card games, board games, Wii games, charades, etc. just get together and get that family time in that we don’t usually get a chance to do and just have fun!
Need a new game to play? Try What Do You Meme? (Family Edition)
2. Bake or Cook A Meal – My daughter loves to learn how to bake right now. It’s a perfect time to bake and cook meals with our loved ones. Look up new recipes and give them a try.
3. Exercise – Get everyone involved and get healthy.
4. Teach Kids How To Clean – Teach them to do their own laundry from start to finish. Including putting their own clothes away. Talk about a huge stress relief when you don’t have to do all of this anymore. My house rule is that everyone, including my husband, does their own laundry. What a relief it this really is.
5. Read A Book – Especially if your kids are young they will really appreciate it. Have them read to you as well.
6. Make A Smoothie – Teach kids to be healthy and have them help you make smoothies for everyone. I just use my magic bullet to do this.
7. Cook A Fondue Meal – Making a fondue dinner is super fun to do with the family. My kids really enjoy doing this. You can do meat fondue, cheese fondue, and chocolate fondue. Of course, the chocolate fondue is my kid’s favorite.
8. Make Ice Cream Sundaes – Another favorite thing to do. Who doesn’t like ice cream?
9. Order Favorite Take-Out – If everyone can’t agree on the same take-out meal, let everyone choose their favorite, order and enjoy a movie together once the food arrives.
10. Adopt A Family Pet – Maybe now is the time to adopt a little fur friend. It’ll definitely help keep the kids happy while being stuck inside the house. We are so happy to have our bunny Buster. He is so cute to watch and definitely keeps us very entertained.
12. Decorate Windows – We decided to put a heart light up in our front living room window to display how much we really appreciate all the front line workers working for us during these difficult times. We used Christmas lights or you can have the kids draw this with erasable markers.
13. Decorate the Sidewalk – Get some fresh air and decorate the driveway, sidewalk or patio with sidewalk chalk.
14. Organize a Scavenger Hunt – Put something fun together and have the kids search for clues to find items/candy.
15. Teach Sewing – If you are crafty or great at sewing, teach the kiddies how to make a pillow or hem pants.
16. Make Home-Made DIY Bath Bombs – Learn how to make DIY bath bombs with the ingredients you probably already have in your cupboard.
17. Make Home-Made Slushies – Here is a link at wikihow.com for slushie recipes.
More Awesome Things To Do
1. Call Friends – It’s so important to remember everyone needs to have a check-in once in a while. Even tho your friends may not have checked up on you at all doesn’t mean everything is fine and that you don’t have to check on them. Now is the time to catch up with an old friend or even a long-distant friend. Everything may be great but at least you will know if you give them a call.
2. Try Zoom – It’s a great way to keep in touch with friends. You can even set up a friend date get-together with www.zoom.us. Plan a zoom date and enjoy some wine and laughter together.
3. Do A Deep House Clean/Organize – Clean Cupboards/Closets/Fridge/Windows etc. – Get on it and do a deep clean. You will feel better once this is done as well.
Learn the Art of Decluttering by Marie Kondo
4. Paint – Paint a room that maybe you’ve been wanting to get done for a while.
5. Rearrange Rooms – Change a bedroom or living room around for something new.
6. Order Groceries Online – I have been doing this for many months now and love it. It saves so much time running around and even saves money because you aren’t “browsing” throughout the store.
7. Online Shop – With summer coming up soon there must be some items you would like to purchase like-new tank tops, dresses, shorts for either yourself or even the kiddies. Get excited about summer!!
8. Learn How To Embroider – Look up embroidery how-to tutorials on YouTube.com
9. Play Sudoku – Get the Sudoku app here on your phone or device.
10. Watch the Northern Lights – Watch the northern lights from the comfort of your own home. They are best seen from 10 pm and 4 am so you would have to stay awake for this one.
11. Have a Make-Up Party – Either learn new ways to do your own make-up or have the kids do your make-up and theirs.
12. Clean the Grout – If you have white grout that needs to get cleaned, this is a great time to start this project. It may take a few days to finish this project as it can be tiring on your arms. I use Zep or you can find a bleach mix online by searching www.google.com.
13. Find a Craft On Pinterest – Pinterest is a great app to find a lot of DIY projects. You can download the Pinterest app here if you don’t already have it.
14. Learn Calligraphy – Calligraphy is the art of forming beautiful symbols by hand and arranging them well. You can learn more at www.calligraphy-skills.com.
15. Make Lip-Gloss/Lipbalm – This is really cool to learn, especially if you are addicted to using these as much as I am. Martha Stewart offers some great home-made lip balm recipes.
16. Make Home-Made Skin Care Products – There is so much we can do with home-made products we already have in the house. www.dontmesswithmama.com has some great home-made skincare recipes.
17. Take an Online Course – You can take many courses offered at Udemy.com for under $20. This is a sure way to stay busy at home and also learn something new and valuable for life.
No matter what you decide to do, try and stay active and keep a healthy mindset!
This is what I have been doing to keep busy while at home as well. Even tho I work a full-time job, I started an online course in affiliate marketing. Creating passive income online. You can learn this too. It’s for anyone, including stay at home moms, retirees, part-time workers or even full-time workers.
If you are ever interested in learning more about how to start a blog or website to make money online from home…
***First 10 lessons are completely free, NO CREDIT CARD REQUIRED! See if this is for you first before you decide to commit***
I hope you found our list of things to do when bored at home very helpful. Which one of these ideas(s) would you most likely consider? Is there anything else you would add to our list?
Please share your ideas with us in the comments below so we can help each other feel more productive while so many of us are stuck at home.
Stay safe and all the best to everyone!